CABOC Legislative Program 2021
2023 Legislative Program – PDF https://www.bondoversight.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/LegislativeProgram2023_6.11.22.pdf
Summary of 2023 Legislative Program – PDF https://www.bondoversight.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Summary_2023_LegislativeProgram_6.11.22.pdf
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Previous Legislative Proposals
Legislative Program PDF
Legislative Program at a Glance
Legislative Proposal Summary
Summary of the CABOC 2023 Legislative Proposals
It is long past time for California legislators to take action to fulfill promises of accountability and effective citizen oversight of millions of dollars of taxpayer funds now spent every year on school facilities.
CABOC’s proposal aligns with the Little Hoover Commission’s recommended statutory changes to affirm the independence of CBOCs and bolster their effectiveness. This proposal is also consistent with overall principles found in Education Code 15274 namely that: “vigorous efforts are undertaken [to ensure] that bond measures are in strict conformity to the law.”
- Require CDIAC to work with CABOC to develop easy-to-access online training material.
- Strengthen CBOC independence by specifying CBOC develop their own by-laws consistent with CBOC control over process and rules of operation.
- Strengthen bond program audit requirements and expand the role of CBOCs in selecting and interacting with auditors.
- Require bond ballot language clearly refer to specific projects in the district’s facility master plan instead of highly generalized projects, such as “safety upgrades” or “technology improvements”.
- Make CBOC membership selection and appointment more transparent, open and merit-based.
- Require districts provide sufficient budgets funded by bond funds to include independent legal counsel for the CBOC, train members and maintain a website to prominently display meeting agendas and reports so that CBOCs can fulfill their mission to report to the general public.